Instructors may order a desk copy of Green Illusions.
Some Companion Texts:
- Companion Reader (edited volume): Deborah Johnson and Jameson Wetmore. Technology and Society: Building our Sociotechnical Future, 2009.
- David L. Goldblatt. Sustainable Energy Consumption and Society, 2005.
- Guy Debord. Society of the Spectacle. 1988.
- Michael J. Graetz. The End of Energy: The Unmaking of America’s Environment Security, and Independence. 2011.
- James Gustave Speth. The Bridge at the End of the World. 2008.
- Michael Huessemann and Joyce Huessemann. Techno-Fix: Why Technology Won’t Save Us or the Planet. 2011
- Jerry Mander. The Capitalism Papers. 2012.
Some readings that instructors are assigning with Green Illusions:
Green Illusions Introduction: “Unraveling the Spectacle”
Green Illusions Ch.1: “Solar Cells and Other Fairy Tales”
Green Illusions Ch.2: “Wind Power’s Flurry of Limitations”
Green Illusions Ch.3: “Biofuels and the Politics of Big Corn”
Green Illusions Ch.4: “The Nuclear-Military-Industrial Risk Complex”
Green Illusions Ch.5: “The Hydrogen Zombie”
Green Illusions Ch.6: “Conjuring Clean Coal”
- Technology and Society: Building our Sociotechnical Future: “Introduction to Part II: The Relationship Between Technology and Society”.
- Technology and Society: Building our Sociotechnical Future: Thomas P. Hughes “Technological Momentum”.
Green Illusions Ch.7: “Hydropower, Hybrids, and Other Hydras”
Green Illusions Ch.8: “The Alternative-Energy Fetish”
- Technology and Society: Building our Sociotechnical Future: E.M. Forster “The Machine Stops”.
- Video: Naomi Oreskes. Merchants of Doubt (http://vimeo.com/16169321).
- Shannon May. “Ecological Modernism and the Making of a New Working Class” in Adrian Parr and Michael Zaretsky, New Directions in Sustainable Design (New York and London: Routledge, 2010), pp. 37-51.
- Curtis White. The Philanthropic Complex. Jacobin (http://jacobinmag.com/2012/04/the-philanthropic-complex/)
Green Illusions Ch.9: “The First Step”
- BK Sovacool. 2007. “Coal and nuclear technologies: creating a false dichotomy for American energy policy.” Policy Sciences 40:101-122.
- Technology and Society: Building our Sociotechnical Future: Bruce Schneier “Security Trade-Offs Are Subjective” and “Technology Creates Security Imbalances”.
- Charles Lindblom. Inquiry and Change (Introduction, Ch.1, Ch. 2).
Green Illusions Ch.10: “Women’s Rights”
Green Illusions Ch.11: “Improving Consumption”
- Technology and Society: Building our Sociotechnical Future: Jameson M. Wetmore “Amish Technology: Reinforcing Values and Building Community”.
- James Gustave Speth. The Bridge at the End of the World. 2008 (Ch.6 – Real Growth: Promoting the Well-being of People and Nature & Ch. 7 – Consumption: Living with Enough, Not Always More).
Green Illusions Ch.12: “The Architecture of Community”
- James Scott, “Authoritarian High Modernism,” in Seeing like a State. How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed (New Haven: Yale UP, 1998), pp. 87-102.
- Jane Jacobs, “The Uses of Sidewalks: Safety” in Richard T. LeGates and Frederic Stout (eds.), The City Reader (London and New York: Routledge, 2003), pp. 103-108.
- Roger K Lewis, “As land use planning changes, ‘zoning’ is no longer appropriate” The Washington Post, February 15, 2013. Full Article
Green Illusions Ch.13: “Efficiency Culture”
Green Illusions Ch.14: “Asking Questions”